A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE BOARD
The FCT Scholarship Scheme has been in existence since 1980s. It has witnessed several transformations from being a Unit under the office of the Head, Department of Education under the office of the Secretary for Education to a Unit known as Education Support Scheme as established in 2006 by the then Minister of FCT, Mallam Nasir Ahmed El-Rufai.
It was upgraded to the status of a Board through the initiative of the former Secretary for Education, Alhaji Hussaini Halilu Pai by the FCT Executive Council (Exco) on 23rd August, 2010 under the leadership of the former Minister of FCT, Senator Bala Abdulkadir Mohammed (Kauran Bauchi).
The Directors/Secretaries of the Board from inception till date are listed below:
- Mr. Danjuma Jimiko Habakkuk (JP) was the pioneer Director/Secretary of the Board from 2010 to 2012.
- Mrs Emcy G. Hamman was the Director/Secretary of the Board from 2012 to 2014.
- Mallam Mohammed Tsoho Maiwada succeeded Mrs Emcy G. Hamman from March, 2014 to December, 2014.
- Mallam Ahmad Isah Rany is the current Acting Director from January, 2015 to date.
An Advisory Committee was constituted before the appointment of substantive Board members in 2012.
A Board was constituted by the then Minister of FCT, Senator Bala Abdulkadir Mohammed; and it was inaugurated on the 20th July, 2012. The following were pioneer members of the Board which was dissolved following a Presidential directive in 2015:-
- Hon. Alex Emeziem Chairman
- HRH Alh. Ismaila Mohammed Member
- Hon. Anthonia Okoli Member
- Alh Sidi Abubakar (Narto) Member
- Representative of AISA Member
- Zakari Tukura A. Member
- Naseer D. Abubakar Member
- Engr. Ismaila Amodu Member
- Mrs Emcy G. Hamman Director/Secretary
The Board has given education support to 66,740 FCT indigenes/indigent students and pupils in the various categories of Award between 2010 to 2014.